Pages

Monday 11 May 2015

How to Make Fruit Blast Popsicles

My marketing class' most recent assignment involves coming up with some sort of healthy food recipe and setting up a booth to conduct a taste test plus a survey for primary research. I was inspired by a recipe I saw on Pinterest to do fruity popsicles because they're hella easy to make, but I changed the recipe a bit because
1) the recipe I was reading was sometimes kinda complicated and some bits seemed unnecessary
2) the recipe didn't make enough servings for the 3 classes coming in to sample the product.

My partner and I decided to put step-by-step instructions (in picture form) of the recipe on our poster, so I decided I might as well upload the pictures onto this blog as well.

Note: This recipe creates SAMPLE-SIZED fruit blast popsicles. If you want to make larger ones, just repeat the same steps, except pour the blended fruit into larger popsicle containers. 

First I gathered some ingredients and materials.

I had NO CLUE how much of what fruit I needed, so I just took a handful of each fruit and blended it (one at a time). If I had leftover fruit, I just drank it since it was pretty much a smoothie. 

I ended up using one kiwi, a handful of strawberries, and a handful of mango chunks. The tray I used is from Dollarama and it has rubber cups, so you can easily pop out whatever it is you're freezing :) I also used toothpicks, a blender, and a spoon. 
I blended about a handful of mango chunks in my (shitty) blender and spooned the smoothie-like mixture into the ice cube tray. 
Then I put the tray into the freezer for half an hour.

 I then blended about a handful of strawberries. Oh yeah, I should mention that it's kind of weird blending PURE strawberries and PURE mango, so I added water to the blender so that the fruit would blend together a lot more smoothly. I think I put in too much water though for the strawberries, because when I drank it afterwards, it tasted more like a juice than a smoothie.

This was also the phase that I added the toothpicks. Because the mango mixture wasn't completely frozen (it had only been in the freezer for half an hour, after all), the toothpicks were able to sink all the way to the bottom and not fall over. The mango mixture was hard enough to hold the toothpicks in, but soft enough to let the sticks sink through.

After another half hour, I filled the rest of the tray with blended kiwi. I then lightly showered a bit of water over top to fill in any gaps in the fruit.

And this is how one of them turned out! I haven't popped the rest out of the tray yet. Disclaimer time! The background was kinda meh so I decided to photoshop this tropical background in. Not sure who the image belongs to, but I got it off Google Images a while ago if that helps (it probably doesn't). My point is I don't own the image. Nor do I claim the rights to it. 

I wish I had put more strawberry in this one. I was worried that I wouldn't have enough room for kiwi. 

How does the popsicle taste? Well. Exactly as one would expect, in my opinion. Like mango, kiwi, and a hint of strawberry. A bigger version would be perfect for the approaching summer months!

The taste-test event is on Friday, so I'll see if I can take pictures to put onto this blog then. Also, I meant to make another hiatus post, but I forgot to. Basically, the reason I haven't been updating this blog lately is because I haven't been making bento, and I haven't been making bento because I'm on a small diet right now. But I'll probably be updating a lot in the summer, especially since I'll be in Japan and I expect to do a lot of bento shopping then ^.^ 

No comments:

Post a Comment